Monday, November 2, 2009

abc teach

I actually found ABC Teach a while ago, while Googling for worksheets on something or other. Sometimes you just need a worksheet, you know? :) The site is loaded with downloads, more than 5,000, and more than 35,000 available to members. When the TOS Crew was asked to review the site, I didn’t know where to start. There are so many things available, it really did take me a while to figure it all out. However, once I got the hang of it, I found plenty that fit into our school days.

ABC Teach is not a curriculum substitute, though some topics for some subjects can be taught quite well from the information on the site. We found it best for supplementing – for those little fill-ins needed here and there. For instance, my son had a co-op assignment on the Great Wall of China. Before Googling and sorting through 927,000 irrelevant things, we searched ABC Teach and found exactly the thing he needed.

The site is also great for extra practice. Writing… don’t even get me started. Sometimes my son needs extra practice on a writing topic. Again, when faced with coming up with the extra practice myself, I decided not to reinvent the wheel. I found much more than I ever could have come up with on my own.

abc_logo.gif image by homeschoolcrew

If you use workboxes, ABC Teach has many, many downloads that lend themselves to that system. The site includes materials for preschool through high school, on just about every subject imaginable. Here’s a great example of items available for a weather-themed study: http://www.abcteach.com/directory/theme_units/weather/ (These are free and just touch the surface of what is available to members.)

Just a note, I think I probably have few classroom teachers reading this site, but if you are a classroom teacher or teach at a co-op or Sunday school, there are many classroom helps on ABC Teach. I actually did not need those here in our one-student homeschool, but you may find them helpful.

ABC Teach membership is $40 per user per year or $70 for two years. Substantial discounts are offered for groups. Do you need to join? If it’s in your budget, there is great benefit to be had, but first, you should cruise around the free areas of the site. Membership allows access to many, many more items, as well as the ability to create custom worksheets. Here’s a video tour of the site which provides more information: http://www.abcteach.com/benefits.php (Scroll down to see the video.)

 

We received a free trial for review. I was not compensated. My opinions are my own.

No comments: