Monday, August 4, 2008

starting strong

DSC_0011

The first day of school got off to a great start. Nolan was enthusiastic about everything, but maybe that's just because we played fast and loose with the schedule and the curriculum today. He did a lot of work related to the Olympics, though our next school day (don't know what day that is -- we are only doing two this week) will turn to the egregious state of human rights in China, and that's not so fun. We also started The Magician's Nephew, the first (but not really) in the Chronicles of Narnia series. I do love me some C.S. Lewis. Wow. I remember taking the kids to see Narnia and seeing a grown man literally weep as Aslan triumphed. I'd say it stands the test of time. (About 2000 years, right?)

A couple of weeks ago, I DVRed (that's a word) an episode of Nova about the ice man and forensic science. I had intended to save that for a few weeks down the road when we are full into our forensics unit, but the kid begged me to let him watch it, even though school is done for the day. His argument was that I said it was for "after school started" and well, school has started.... How do you say no to that?

My desk is a disaster -- one of the lesser known side effects of homeschooling.

No comments: