Tuesday, August 25, 2009

cheater empanadas

Warning: There is nothing authentic about this recipe. I make it because my kids inhale it like candy.

 

Cheater Empanadas

1 pound ground turkey

1 small onion, chopped

1 t. Kosher salt

3/4 t. ground cumin

1 package rolled pie crusts or 1 recipe homemade pie crust (depends of how much time I have – rolled crusts have lard, which is gross for vegetarians who cook for carnivores)

1 egg, beaten with 1 T. water

DSC_0043

Remove crust dough from fridge. Warmth equals pliability.

DSC_0050

Brown the turkey with the onion. Mix in salt and cumin. Drain fat. Cool. (I’m serious. Otherwise, you cook the crust dough unevenly and prematurely. Ask me how I know.)

DSC_0051

Cut crust into fourths or sixths. If you don’t care about wasting the excess, you can cut it into cute little rounds for easier shaping, but who does that?

DSC_0057

Spoon cooled turkey mixture into dough. Fold and seal. (Use a little water to seal the edges if necessary. Place on a well oiled cookie sheet (again, ask me how I know) and brush tops with egg wash. Bake at 375 for about 15 –20 minutes, or until golden brown. (Timing depends on the size of your cheater empanadas.)

Serve to hungry children.

No comments: