Thursday, September 24, 2009

nutrition 101

Nutrition_10CDROM_cover.jpg picture by homeschoolcrew

Coupled with physical education (at co-op this semester), we are using parts of  Nutrition 101 as part of a PE/Health credit this year. We were provided with an e-book of this health curriculum as part of the TOS Crew. It is beautifully designed and full color, so a printed version would add a great deal if it is in your homeschool budget and you decide that this product is right for your family. (Please see my notes below.) (Currently, it is $99.95 for the book, $79.95 for a CD-ROM. Downloadable e-books are not currently offered for sale.)

I have been printing some of each unit for use as a health lesson. A variety of activities are suggested so you can choose what works best with the ages and learning styles of your children. The recipes are terrific, too, and I know my son was more interested in guacamole than he has ever been before.

Pros: First, the positive things about Nutrition 101. Again, the design is lovely. The material is quite comprehensive – providing enough to allow me to pick and choose what we include and what we leave out. The course covers the systems of the human body: brain/nervous, digestive, respiratory/olfactory/auditory/visual, skeletal/muscular, cardiovascular/immune, and endocrine/emotions. There are extensive appendices that add even more depth to the individual units and many healthy recipes. This program is ready to use, in a teacher- and student-friendly format. It is Christian-based. The boy is absorbing this material like crazy, something I credit in large part to the book’s visual appeal. (I know, I can’t let go of the great layout.)

Cons: The book has a fairly high number of typographical/grammar errors. I am told the authors are planning to correct this is future editions, but it is not an inexpensive book, so I do want to note that. Of greater concern to me, however, are things stated as fact that I am careful to label as the authors’ opinions. I have already found at least two sources that give me pause, as well as the repeated promotion of a product line, which in my opinion, is inappropriate in a teaching product. In my opinion, too much of the material in the appendices reads like promotion for this particular line of essential oils. You may agree with them wholeheartedly, but I think I would be remiss if I did not let you know that in advance. Though the authors seem to be Godly women with the best intentions, I encourage you to read this with a discerning eye, applying what is best for your family.

No comments: