Monday, February 1, 2010

beehive reader

If a picture is worth a thousand words… OK, I don’t know where I am going with that, except to say that Beehive Reader from All About Spelling has beautiful illustrations. We received a copy of volume one to review for the TOS Crew. This is a very beginning reader, in the style of the old Dick and Jane books. Even with very few words per page, the lush pencil drawings exude warmth. (Download a sample here. More samples here.)

If you already use All About Spelling, this would be a great addition. (It correlates with level one.) It is also a classic standalone reader – one of those “move your finger along the page” kind of books that little ones adore. At $19.95, it is not inexpensive, for sure, but it is hardbound and I think young beginning readers would really take ownership of this as a first book to read independently. Note that the book contains ten complete stories that, while written simply, actually tell sweet, complete tales. It has the feel of a classic. (Bookworms, you understand that, right?)

 

We received a free book for review. I was not compensated. My opinions are my own.

No comments: