Friday, October 15, 2010

red

Oh this was a lot of fun. If you remember Bruce Willis in the original “Die Hard,” I am happy to report that he is back. (I just looked it up – “Die Hard” was 22 years ago. Sigh.)

My husband and I attended a screening of “Red” last night. The cast is incredible: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Mary Louise Parker, Richard Dreyfuss and a short but sweet appearance by Ernest Borgnine (he’s 94!). I suspect this movie will be vastly underappreciated by anyone younger than 40, but for our demographic it is bound to be a hit. I have reached the ripe old age that allows me to fully appreciate the notion of “grandpa” sticking it to the young whippersnappers who think they know it all. Without spoiling it, the REDs (Retired Extremely Dangerous) have become targets due to their past work in the CIA. The story becomes a life or death road trip as they try to get to the bottom of who wants them silenced and why. And it’s an awfully fun ride.

Despite the fact that a couple of people brought their kids last night, this is not for the littles. It is rated PG-13 and has some foul language (but unlike some other PG-13 movies of late, it isn’t replete with vulgarities) and there is a lot (a LOT) of mostly bloodless violence. This is based on a graphic novel (I haven’t read it) and I suspect that might lead some parents to think it’s a kid-friendly movie. It’s not, but then again, I don’t think most graphic novels have very much in common with the comic books from 30 years ago. Make it a date night sans kids.

Edited to add: Helen Mirren is drop dead gorgeous and she is 65 years old. I just read a wire story in my local paper in which she refers to Bruce Willis as a geezer. Love that! Geezers rule.

No comments: