Friday, June 12, 2009

and so we bake

DSC_0004

I spent the afternoon at a funeral. It would have been a great party otherwise, which is exactly how his wife wanted it to be. His friends spoke and had everyone, including his broken-hearted wife, in tears of laughter. Those attending were asked to keep it casual and most did, with a lot of flip-flops and some tennis shoes moving tentatively among the headstones in the hot June wind.

A good party it would have been, except she goes home alone. And the rest of us, we try to help her in the only ways we know how.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

One of the hardest things I ever had to do was leave my mother alone to return to my home after my father died. She lived in a different town(about 2 hours away). I'm sure your love and support will help her adjust to her life without her husband.