Thursday, June 5, 2008

no yolk

(Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

DSC_0049

If you eat eggs, you should read this story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.The story laments the rising cost of "one of the most basic foods available." I don't mean to beat up on this farmer who is obviously facing a tough time. He is doing things the way that he always has and I can definitely relate to that. But after reading about the methods used to farm the eggs, it makes them seem anything but basic. (Check out the photos, especially number five.)

I have been a vegetarian for almost 16 years now, but I do still use and eat eggs and dairy. Our eggs now come from an organic farm where the chickens run free and eat bugs and such, as chickens are supposed to do. This way of eating isn't cost prohibitive. Our eggs cost $2 per dozen, more than the factory-farmed eggs but significantly less than cage-free eggs in the grocery store. Our dairy comes from Happy Cow Creamery. Chemical-free milk is $3.99 per gallon, less than some brands at the store. Hand-rolled, Amish butter is $6.99 for a two-pound roll. We are very fortunate to have these sources nearby, but they were here for years before I knew about them. If you are in the U.S., please look at Local Harvest. These same resources could be in your backyard. I wouldn't yolk you. (Sorry, again.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I found your blog through your comment on Soule Mama. Thanks very much for the link you posted. I just got married and moved from upstate New York to L. A. (big change!), and I've been looking for a co-op and a good farmers market in the area. The site pulled up some that I hadn't heard of before that are probably worth checking out. I'm one of 5 children and we were all taught at home by my mom from kindergarten right through graduation. I love reading homeschool blogs, so I'm going to add yours to my favorites list.

Chris Worthy said...

Hi Martha,

Thanks for your comment and the homeschool encouragement. If you have a blog, please let me know. Blogger isn't letting me click through your comment.

Enjoy the farmers market!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! Sorry, I didn't type it in. It's www.labrebisroses.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

I absolutely love that butter from Happy Cow. Every time I travel to Greenville, I try to make a stop at The Happy Cow. I recently found a local market here in Greenwood that sells it.