Monday, January 26, 2009

minding my own

DSC_0002

I know you are shaking your head and saying, "There she goes again."

Well, there I go again.

A trip to the country on Saturday resulted in five pounds of beeswax from our friendly neighborhood (essentially organic) beekeeper. There is a learning curve to the filtering, straining and all that, but we did manage to figure out a small batch...

DSC_0006

...which ultimately became a trial run of lip balm...

DSC_0010

I smell like honey.

Next up: homemade lotion.

Go ahead, roll your eyes. I don't mind.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm jealous. I have been wanting to try making homemade lip balm. The online source I would order from has stopped making balm. The idea of not having any pains me.(I do not like the chapstick stuff.)Is it hard to do?

Chris Worthy said...

The hardest part is definitely fiddling with the wax. I don't have that down to a science yet, but I think we did fine for a first go. The lip balm will be tweaked, I'm sure. For this run, I used one part beeswax to two parts emollient, then just beat the heck out of it.
I want to try a batch with avocado oil and I think I might add a little glycerin next time. I'll post the recipe once I work it out.