Monday, August 30, 2010

and there was light (and it smelled good)

We made beeswax candles this weekend. I am all set for a romantic evening and/or power outage.

DSC_0103

The wax is from a local beekeeper. We also filtered it ourselves (not this weekend). That was an exercise in patience, for sure. If you know an easy way to filter wax (and really, anything would be easier than any of the methods I tried), please let me know.

In any event, enough time had passed since the trauma of the filtering. I was ready to do this, thinking there must be a catch. There isn’t. I got the metal votive molds and wicks from A.C. Moore, using a 40 percent off coupon. (I didn’t want to invest much in case this was a bust.) I melted the wax in a double boiler, placed the wick in the mold and poured in the wax. At this point, I freaked out thinking that maybe I should have sprayed the mold with Pam or something. I then realized, well, it’s wax.

Our candles are all natural, nothing but beeswax. They have a faint scent of honey.

Candle-making inspiration here.

No comments: