Sunday, May 25, 2008

a keeper

DSC_0060

Finally, something that lives up to the hype. In my continuing quest for the perfect homemade sandwich bread, I tried Fabulous Homemade Bread from allrecipes. It's a keeper. This recipe made five loaves and a small batch of rolls. Instead of oats, I used two cups of Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Rolled Cereal and baked the bread from 12 - 35 minutes, depending on the size of the roll/loaf. Three loaves went into the freezer, so we'll see how that works out. Being able to make bread in a large batch is my only hope of abandoning all store bought bread. Also, I did two loaves in regular loaf pans and the rest as shaped loaves on baking stones, though I don't think it made a difference. If I can figure out how to replace the sugar with honey, we'll be in business.

I recommend a warm slice slathered with strawberry jam.

DSC_0059 

A note on Friday's post: I stand corrected. It was Gomer who said "hooty hoo," not Barney. Sorry. We only had three channels when I was a kid and I only learned the ins and out of Mayberry when I grew up and got cable.

2 comments:

Maureen Reynolds said...

When you say it's a keeper, do you also mean it's a good freezer?

Chris Worthy said...

Well, I am definitely keeping the recipe. :) We are still eating from the fresh loaves. I will post about the frozen ones when we try them. I am keeping my fingers crossed!