Friday, May 30, 2008

three things to wrap up the week

 DSC_0051

Today was the last day of fourth grade and the last day of our first year of homeschooling. I would say it was a rousing success. Nolan finished his bridge unit today by putting the final touches on his popsicle stick truss bridge.

DSC_0050

We also had a field trip to Ten Thousand Villages. I had Nolan do a little research on fair trade in advance, but there is nothing like touching the items made by talented artisans across the globe. I can't reveal the contents of the bag since it contains a birthday gift for my mother-in-law. However, I loved pretty much everything in the store. The education director did a wonderful job of engaging the kids in what can be an abstract concept. I encourage you to visit a local store or check them out online. Since the organization is nonprofit, the prices are excellent and you can shop with the knowledge that those who crafted your purchase are treated in accordance with the principles of fair trade. Vote with your wallet, friends.

On a more frivolous note (but one that seriously has me counting the days), the trailer for the new X Files movie is online. I'm going to need to see this twice because I will giggle like a school girl through the entire first viewing.

"So you believe in these kinds of things?"

"Let's just say I want to believe."

I'm giggling already.

No comments: